US Department of Energy – McGuire Air Force Base
ESPC Third Party Consultant
United States Air Force
McGuire Air Force Base
Burlington County, New Jersey
Celtic Energy, Inc., hired by the US Department of Energy’s (USDOE), as a Project Facilitator for the Energy Saving Performance Contract (ESPC) at McGuire Air Force Base (MAFB), in Burlington County, New Jersey. Covering more than 3,500 acres of Burlington County, MAFB is home to the 305th Air Mobility Wing, the 21st Air Force and the Air Mobility Warfare Center.
This project, completed by Ameresco Select has an expected seven year simple payback, with estimated energy savings totaling more than $164 million (over 20 years). The Detailed Energy Survey (DES) was developed with a long-range focus to reduce energy costs, reduce energy intensity, expand renewable energy and reduce water consumption.
The four main Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs), proposed by Ameresco, included:
- Decentralized Boilers – a new heating system, replacing the central HTHW system, will reduce distribution losses.
- High-Efficiency Lighting Retrofits and Controls – replacement of existing light fixtures, installation of occupancy sensor controls and use of day-lighting.
- Energy Management Control System – to minimize energy use and energy costs, a new system, with remote-controlled access.
- Chiller Plant Upgrade – replace the existing equipment with new, more efficient units.
Ameresco was also able to negotiate with the local gas utility (PSEG) to create a new military rate for firm gas service.
The proposal, projected to save over $6.5 million in the first year alone, will enhance energy security, create a healthier, safer, and more productive work environment, and act as an example for the nation.
- Client US Department of Energy - McGuire Air Force Base
- Date December 10, 2014
- Tags Power Purchase Agreement, Third Party Owner's Representative